Hedge trimmers are fantastic tools for making sure that everything in your yard is well taken care of, but unless you like digging out the ladder, then you’re going to have some trouble when it comes to truly massive, tall hedges. Thankfully, there’s a sub-class of these garden power tools which can eliminate the extra labor associated with maintaining enormous shrubbery.
Pole hedge trimmers are exactly what they sound like, a hedge trimmer… on a pole. It’s a simple concept, but you’ll quickly find they’re indispensable for many uses when it comes to maintaining your yard. If you think one of these would be perfect for you, then you’re in luck. We’ll show you how to pick out the best pole hedge trimmer quickly and easily. With one of these amazing garden tools, you’ll be able to maintain even the hardest to reach places in your yard, year-round… without having to deal with ladders and sore shoulders.
- 1 What’s The Best Pole Hedge Trimmer?
- 2 Earthwise 18-Inch 2.8-Amp Corded Electric 2-in-1 Pole/Hand-held Hedge Trimmer
- 3 DOEWORKS 20V Li-ion 2 in 1 Multi-Angle Battery Trimmer
- 4 Sun Joe SJH901E 18-Inch Electric Telescoping Pole Hedge Trimmer
- 5 DEWALT 40V MAX Telescoping Pole Hedge Trimmer
- 6 GreenWorks 22272 G-MAX 40V 20-Inch Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer
- 7 Garcare GPHT07 4.8-Amp Multi-Angle Corded Pole Hedge Trimmer with 20-Inch Laser Blade
- 8 Tanaka TCH22EPAPS 21 CC Short Shaft Hedge Trimmer
- 9 Black & Decker LPHT120 18-Inch 20-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer
- 10 Earthwise CVPH43018 4.5-Amp 2-in-1 Convertible Pole Hedge Trimmer
- 11 DEWALT DCPH820B 20V MAX Pole Hedge Trimmer
- 12 Best Pole Hedge Trimmers: A Quick Guide
- 13 Power Source
- 14 Gas Powered
- 15 Battery-powered
- 16 Electrical
- 17 Other Qualities to Consider In a Pole Hedge Trimmer
- 18 Popular Questions on Best Pole Hedge Trimmers
- 19 How Do I Use a Pole Hedge Trimmer?
- 20 What is the best pole hedge trimmer?
- 21 Are pole hedge trimmers any good?
- 22 What length is best for a hedge trimmer?
- 23 Conclusion
What’s The Best Pole Hedge Trimmer?
Our Quick List of The Best Trimmers
- Earthwise 18-Inch 2.8-Amp Corded Electric 2-in-1 Pole/Hand-held Hedge Trimmer
- DOEWORKS 20V Li-ion 2 in 1 Multi-Angle Battery Trimmer
- Sun Joe SJH901E 18-Inch Electric Telescoping Pole Hedge Trimmer
- DEWALT 40V MAX Telescoping Pole Hedge Trimmer
- GreenWorks 22272 G-MAX 40V 20-Inch Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer
- Garcare 4.8-Amp Multi-Angle Corded Pole Hedge Trimmer with 20-Inch Laser Blade
- Tanaka TCH22EPAPS 21 CC Short Shaft Hedge Trimmer
- Black & Decker LPHT120 18-Inch 20-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer
- Earthwise CVPH43018 4.5-Amp 2-in-1 Convertible Pole Hedge Trimmer
- DEWALT DCHT895M1 (Heavy-Duty) Powerful 40-Volt, 4.0-AMP battery
We’ve taken the time out to bring you ten of the best hedge trimmers. Take a look over the buyer guide again if you’re still uncertain. One of these is sure to be the best pole hedge trimmer for your garden, no matter what you’re doing.
Earthwise 18-Inch 2.8-Amp Corded Electric 2-in-1 Pole/Hand-held Hedge Trimmer
- Two tools in one: hedge trimmer and pole hedge trimmer
- 18" blade length ength with 3/4″ maximum cutting width
- 150-degree / 6-position rotating head
Giving you the best of both worlds, this pole trimmer produced by Earthwise has what it takes to make sure that you can get the job done no matter where it’s at. It can also be set at 6 different angles, which means less time spent trying to get yourself into those tight spots to get at your hedges.
The motor isn’t the most powerful, coming in at only 2.8 amps, but it’s enough to handle most domestic shrubbery with a surprising amount of ease. You won’t want to tackle any major tree work with this trimmer, but it gets the job done well for most shrubbery.
You can also take it off the pole to have a hand-held trimmer if you’re working up close.
The only real disadvantage here is that the pole may be a bit short for some people since it only stretches things by 48”. If you’re not about 5’10” or taller, you may want to look for a trimmer that has a bit of a longer telescopic reach.
It’s highly recommended if you want a versatile, corded trimmer.
- 2 in 1 design allows for versatility
- Eliminates the need for a ladder
- Can be set at 6 different angles
- Less noisy than other hedge trimmers
- Not the most powerful
- The cord can get tangled while working
- Heavy, which isn’t ideal for lengthy pruning jobs
DOEWORKS 20V Li-ion 2 in 1 Multi-Angle Battery Trimmer
The DOEWORKS 2 in 1 multi-angle hedge trimmer gives you the ability to trim back everything in your lawn, whether it’s an overgrown hedge, shrub, or tree. With the ability to work from any angle, the DOEWORKS battery-powered pole trimmer is definitely an essential tool for your yard.
The highlight of this trimmer is that it’s very ergonomically friendly and comfortable to use. It features a rubber grip that makes it easy to hold and use, despite being on the slightly heavier side of our list of trimmers. It’s built to reduce the stress on your wrists and other joints while you work on your lawn.
- 2 in 1 design allows for trimming from any angle
- Plenty of power while still being cordless
- Designed to be easy on your wrists and other joints
- Rotating head for accurate cutting and pruning
- A bit on the heavy side
Sun Joe SJH901E 18-Inch Electric Telescoping Pole Hedge Trimmer
- VERSATILE: Ideal for cutting tall bushes, hedges and shrubs
- TELESCOPING: Pole extends reach to up to 7.4 ft. providing up to 12.5 ft. of...
- ADJUSTABLE: Pivoting head to get under and above tall hedges
Having a great looking yard doesn’t have to be difficult or require an expensive tool, and the Sun Joe 18 inch pole hedge trimmer is proof of that. The Sun Joe tool will get the job done on most of your pruning tasks without breaking the bank. If in case the 18-inch blade isn’t enough, you can get the upgraded model (Sun Joe SJH902e) as an alternative.
If you need a long-reach hedge trimmer at an affordable price, the Sun Joe trimmer is a great choice. You’ll get 13 feet of total extension to reach the tallest shrubs on your lawn. Beyond the extension, you also get a fully pivoting head, so if you need to get under those tight spots, you won’t have any issues!
- Affordable, perfect for home users on a tight budget
- 13 feet of total reach
- 3.8 amp motor is very powerful
- The multi-angle head offers 5 adjustable positions
- This is a corded unit, which can get complicated when entangled with obstacles
- There’s a bit of assembly required
DEWALT 40V MAX Telescoping Pole Hedge Trimmer
- Telescoping shaft retracts to 45" for use in compact spaces and extends up to...
- 15% more shaft length than competitive gas pole hedge trimmers
- 22" dual shear, laser cut hardened steel blade with 1" cutting gap Articulating...
This Dewalt DCHT895b corded electric pole trimmer is one of the best and most rugged of the bunch, yet compact enough to use almost anywhere in your garden. It has 8 adjustable positions that you can choose from, so it works in just about any situation. One great feature of this tool is how long it extends, which isn’t too shabby at 70 inches. It’s that it shrinks down to just 45 inches!
- A very diverse pole trimmer,
- The longest extension among the bunch
- 8 adjustable positions for trimming difficult areas
- A quiet trimmer
- The weight distribution isn’t as good as other units
GreenWorks 22272 G-MAX 40V 20-Inch Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer
- G-MAX 40V Li-Ion Battery System powers multiple tools for complete yard...
- 20-inch steel dual action blade for optimal performance and durability
- Shaft extension: 6.5 feet. 5/8-Inch cutting capacity for controlled, easy...
If you’ve got a lot of trimming to deal with, but not a lot of it is thick shrubbery, the GreenWorks 22272 40v cordless pole hedge is exactly what you’re looking for. It comes with a 20” bar, which allows you to shorten your task. The telescoping handle means you can get any job done, no matter how tall the shrubbery.
There’s more, though. The manufacturer has a 4-year warranty on the trimmer and a 2-year warranty on the battery, so you know they have faith in their product.
Add in a 5/8” cutting capability, and you’ve got a winner.
This one is highly recommended if you’ve got a jungle that needs some management.
- High powered enough to cut through the thickest of hedges
- Extended warranty, a proof for its quality
- Long blade with a 5/8″ cutting capability
- The battery can cover 350 yards or 30 minutes runtime
- Can be heavy for small shrub maintenance
Garcare GPHT07 4.8-Amp Multi-Angle Corded Pole Hedge Trimmer with 20-Inch Laser Blade
- 4.8A motor, 3/4 inch cutting capacity, ideal for cutting tall bushes, hedges and...
- 20 inch laser cutting blade with rust-resistant hardened steel for cleanly,and...
- 6-position pivoting head allows you to trim at a variety of angles
The Garcare GPHT07 has an amazingly powerful 4.8A motor and a ¾” cutting capacity. This tool from Garcare is made for tough jobs. With the long blade, you can handle trimming jobs easily and conveniently.
The head also pivots to 90” on each side, so you can flat top your hedges without even thinking about a ladder. All of that, and it comes in at a bargain price.
Go with this one if you’re trying to handle tough shrubs with astonishing ease.
- Pivots 90 degrees moves each direction
- Blades with a wide gap for better trimming
- Affordable but powerful
- The cord has a lock to prevent unplugging
- Can be heavy for some users
Tanaka TCH22EPAPS 21 CC Short Shaft Hedge Trimmer
- 21.1 Cc Pure Fire two-stroke meets emissions levels without sacrificing power,...
- 21.6" Double-Sided, dual reciprocating blades articulate to select any cutting...
- Easily cuts branches up to 3/4" in diameter
Tanaka makes some of the best, and you’ll pay for the extra power you gain while using this trimmer.
If you’ve got the money to spend, though, the 21cc gas-powered motor will allow you to make short work of anything but a tree. You’re backed by a 7-year warranty in case anything goes wrong.
The head angles allow you to handle tricky corners and tops and get trimming tasks done effortlessly.
Go with the Tanaka if you’re looking for a professional quality trimmer. It’ll handle any task you might throw it at.
- Professional-grade trimmer
- Extremely powerful and yet low fuel consumption
- Uses PureFire engine for lesser emissions
- Extended warranty
- Pricey for a home hedge trimmer
Black & Decker LPHT120 18-Inch 20-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer
- 18-inch dual-action blades cut branches with 40 percent less vibration
- Powered by 20-volt MAX lithium-ion battery, with longer lifespan and charge...
- Useable length of 6-1/2 feet; effectively trims up to a height of 10 feet
Looking for a trimmer that won’t break the bank? This is the best cordless pole hedge trimmer for you.
The hedge trimmer tool comes in at a fairly low price, but it still provides a surprising amount of power to make sure that the job gets done. The 20V battery-powered tool might not be the best for old wood, but it can take care of leaves and twigs.
It’s usable up to 6 ½, and you’ll find it can make short work of any branch less than 7/16” in diameter.
It’s not the flashiest or the most powerful, but it’s cheap, and it’ll get the job done.
- Great budget trimmer
- Battery-powered and cordless
- Wraparound handles for better control and comfort
- Easy release trigger control even with your gloves on
- Not very powerful
- Not great for big, thick hedges
Earthwise CVPH43018 4.5-Amp 2-in-1 Convertible Pole Hedge Trimmer
- Earthwise 2-In-1 electric hedge trimmer and pole hedge trimmer that gives you...
- 6-position adjustable trimming head angle from -20 to 60 degrees
- Power shrub trimmers with 18" cutting blade for quick and clean cuts
Earthwise CVPH43018 has a 4.5-amp motor that is stronger than the CVPH41018 model. This tool’s power source is corded electric and boasts of versatility and quality. With a 2-in-1 trimmer, you can switch between functionalities with ease.
Earthwise pole trimmer has 5 angles, a rotating head, and a handle extension of up to 13 inches. The blade length is 18 inches, offering a precision trimming and a cutting capability of 11/16 inches.
- Two functionalities, handheld, and hedge pole trimmer
- Long blade and handle extension for optimum reach
- Rotating head and various angles for trimming flexibility
- A huge upgrade on the power source
- Low maintenance and efficient
- Quite heavy with an extended pole
DEWALT DCPH820B 20V MAX Pole Hedge Trimmer
- Tool Only
- 7- position, 180⁰ articulating head offers customized cutting angles for...
- 1 in. cutting capacity for superior cutting performance
The Dewalt DCPH820B is a 20v heavy-duty, cordless, battery-powered pole hedge trimmer. This tool can extend up to 70 inches for additional reach. The rotating head allows maneuvering the pole hedge trimmer at different angles. The Dewalt trimmer tool has different 8 positions with 15 degrees increment between angles.
The blades are dual-sided with a laser-cut blade length of 22 inches and a 1-inch cutting gap. The tool comes with a blade cover. One of the best power tools and cordless pole hedge trimmers, the Dewalt brand is excellent for cutting through medium and tall overgrowth and hedges.
- Extended reach of up to 70 inches, which makes trimming hard-to-reach areas easy
- Different angles and positions for versatile trimming tasks
- Battery-powered pole hedge trimmer, powerful enough for extended runtime
- Longest cutting blade among the bunch for maximum reach
- A wide cutting gap for more heavy-duty cuts
- Optimal flexibility due to its 8 settings
- Bulky and heavy for an extended usage
- Expensive than other power tools
Best Pole Hedge Trimmers: A Quick Guide
While it might seem pretty easy to just grab one and go for it, you might want to think things through a little bit before deciding to make a purchase. Keep the following in mind when you’re looking for the right pole hedge trimmer for you. You’ll end up with one that’s just right for your needs.
Like their smaller relatives, pole hedge trimmers come in three varieties.
- Gas Power
- Battery Power
- Corded Electrical Power
Each has its own unique advantages. Often, the power source determines the motor size, cutting capacity, and motor power. It is useful
Gas-powered trimmers are the beefiest. By far, you’ll find that they have the highest horsepower, and they can rip through just about anything with an amazing amount of ease. Gas-powered trimmers also tend to be heavier, and you’ll have to keep them topped up. The small internal combustion engine powering them will require regular maintenance.
You’ll mostly see the tool being used by professional landscapers. The gas pole hedge trimmer is a bit heavy, but handling can become a little easier with a shoulder strap. The motor’s extra weight isn’t a good trade-off for the power if you’re just working around your home.
Battery-powered pole hedge trimmers are the most convenient but lowest powered. They’re mostly useful if you do not have to hit thicker, woodier shrubs and hedges. They’re definitely powerful enough for the average front yard, and the pole will let you manage the tops of most shrubbery pretty easily.
What they lack in power, they make up for convenience. Since you won’t need to fill them with gas or run a cord, they’re ideal for light to moderate usage around the home. They do weigh a little bit more than cord-run trimmers, but all you’ll need to do is carry it around with you on the lawn to get the work done.
Electric pole hedge trimmers offer the best trade-off between power and convenience, with a catch. Since you’ll have to run a cord with an electric pole hedge trimmer, it can be a pain to use in backyards and front yards with many twists and turns and plants. The electrical cord can get entangled with other obstacles while you’re trimming. Keep that in mind before you decide to go with one.
However, electric pole hedge trimmers tend to be the lightest, and if your yard is open enough, they’re convenient to use. Most folks will find them to be great, but if you’re cutting through a jungle then you might end up spending as much time dragging the cord around as you do getting work done.
Other Qualities to Consider In a Pole Hedge Trimmer
Deciding on a power source is really the most important part of the whole process. Once you have that down, you’re almost ready to pick out a trimmer.
First, take a good look at what you’re planning on cutting. It’s alright. We’ll wait.
Thick, woody shrubs can often host branches with some serious size to them. You’ll need to make sure that whichever trimmer you go with can easily handle the branches within. Otherwise, you’re going to have to break out a saw when it’s time to get some cutting.
Of course, the branches will be thicker if you’re cutting for the first time in quite a while. With heavily wooded shrubs, you might have to break out the saw for the first time even if you purchase a gas-powered monster of a pole trimmer.
Most trimmers will give you a good idea of what they can handle. Don’t try to tackle anything bigger than the range they’re rated for. In many cases, you can damage the trimmer and void your warranty all at the same time if you just plow through.
Second, you’ll want to take into account the weight of the trimmer you’re looking at. Lighter trimmers will tend to have less power. Battery-powered and blade with less than an 18-inch 40v cordless pole is a light trimmer.
If you’re not super fit, a light trimmer with a powerful motor is the best choice. Remember, it can get tiring quickly to be waving around with a heavy trimmer. A shoulder strap can help a lot with a heavy trimmer, but still, consider the time you’d spend using it.
The third consideration is the settings. Most, but not all, modern hedge pole trimmers will have an adjustable or pivoting head. You want one. Trust us on this since a rotating head allows you to get the tops of hedges cleaned up without resorting to the dreaded ladder.
And finally, you’ll need to take into account the cost of the trimmer. Like most items, an expensive trimmer is generally the better choice, but in this instance, it’s not wise to buy only based on cost, either high or low.
Whatever you do, make sure the pole hedge trimmer that you acquire is right for you. Keep in mind the above, and you pretty much can’t go wrong.
Popular Questions on Best Pole Hedge Trimmers
Not sure yet how to choose your pole hedge trimmer? Here are some of the most asked questions about these extendable trimmers.
How Do I Use a Pole Hedge Trimmer?
Operating a pole hedge trimmer isn’t particularly difficult. However, like any power tool, you need to pay close attention and take all of the proper safety precautions.
How you use the trimmer will depend on what kind of work you are using it for.
If you’re looking to have your hedges take a certain shape, it’s important that you start trimming them to that shape soon after you have them planted.
Once planted and growing, you can use your trimmer to maintain the shape.
Always check that your hedges and bushes are free from birds and other animals that could be harmed by your hedge trimming.
Adjust your pole trimmer to the correct height, and you should be ready to use it to trim your hedges and bushes the way you want them.
What is the best pole hedge trimmer?
One of the best pole hedge trimmers is convenient to use and helps you trim your hedges without so much of a hassle. You can choose a battery-powered tool if you want a trimmer with a light motor.
For left-handed users, you can get a hedge trimmer with double blades. Double blades make trimming easier. A long reach hedge trimmer is also great for large established hedges, shrubs, or bushes.
Are pole hedge trimmers any good?
Yes, because these hedge trimmers are extendable. With the extension pole, you can reach tall or well-established hedges. Some hedge trimmers have different settings and angles that can help you in trimming hedges and bushes to your liking.
What length is best for a hedge trimmer?
The hedge trimmer’s length depends on the hedges, shrubs, and bushes you want to trim. It also depends on the type of garden you have. Choose a trimmer with 16-inch or shorter blades for small hedges, 18-inch for average-sized hedges, and 20 inches or longer for large hedges.
Pole hedge trimmers are power tools and can make any pruning tasks convenient and easy. With the extended handle, you can reach the tallest hedges or prune difficult to reach areas. Pick up one of these long reach pole hedge trimmer models and stop straining to get to those high spots! Make your trimming tasks a breeze.