If you are a professional landscaper or gardener, or if you’re a homeowner with many hedges to maintain, a hedge trimmer is a necessity. Hedge trimmers allow you to precisely trim hedges will getting extra reach for taller and wider shrubbery. There are several types of hedge trimmers on the market: electric, cordless, and gas. Gas-based trimmers are often noisy and produce harsh-smelling emissions, and electric models require a long cord, severely limiting maneuverability. Cordless hedge trimmers are efficient, quiet, and you won’t have to worry about things like extension cords or mixing fuel.
- 1 Reviews of the Best Cordless Hedge Trimmers
- 2 Black+Decker LHT2220 Hedge Trimmer
- 3 EGO Power+ Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- 4 DeWalt DCHT860M1 Hedge Trimmer
- 5 Black+Decker HT22 Hedge Trimmer
- 6 Teho Tools 4313 Cordless Trimmer/Shear
- 7 VonHaus 20V Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- 8 Black+Decker LHT2436 Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- 9 What to Look For in a Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- 10 Conclusion
Reviews of the Best Cordless Hedge Trimmers
We’ve done the research to find the best cordless hedge trimmers on the market. We assessed these hedge trimmers based on customer ratings and reviews.
Black+Decker LHT2220 Hedge Trimmer
- Dual action blades cut branches with 40 percent less vibration
- Part of 20 volt MAX lithium ion battery system easily swap with other lawn and...
- Quickly cuts branches up to ¾ inch thick
The LHT2220 model from Black+Decker is one of the most popular cordless hedge trimmers on the market. It is highly affordable and has a long-lasting 20-volt lithium-ion battery, which offers a better performance than comparable nickel-cadmium batteries. The battery holds a charge longer than other models and has a longer lifespan. The blade is a professional length of 22 inches, and the unit is designed to cut ¾” thick branches with less vibration, thus reducing user fatigue. The charger is Energy Star rated, and the hedge trimmer is very lightweight and easy to manipulate at just under six pounds. This model is capable of trimming 3,000 square feet of hedges per charge, and the soft grip handle wraps around the front fully, giving you the ability to cut comfortably from all orientations. In terms of the downsides, there’s really not much to say, other than larger jobs may require a second battery or a second charge, but that is typical of cordless hedge trimmers compared to the electric and gas-powered.
- Long-lasting battery
- High quality at a low price
- Wrap-around front handle for a comfortable grip
- Particularly heavy jobs require multiple charges
EGO Power+ Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- 24 in. dual-action, hardened steel reciprocating blades
- 3/4 in. cut capacity
- Compatible with all EGO POWER+ Arc Lithium Batteries
One of the best-reviewed trimmers on the market, the EGO Power+ has a 24-inch dual reciprocating blade, perfect for cutting hedges up to ¾” in diameter. The estimated battery run time is one hour, ample time for smaller projects; the unit comes with a 56V battery kit, which is compatible with other EGO products. The powerful hedge trimmer is more expensive than some other models, but you get hardened steel blades at 3,000 strokes per minutes, giving you sharp, precise cuts. Its fast speed allows you to complete your work in less time, and the blades are specially designed to encourage new growth after cutting, giving your hedges a professional look.
- Fast cutting speed
- Brand-compatible battery
- Large cutting capacity
- Short battery runtime
DeWalt DCHT860M1 Hedge Trimmer
- Includes 40v MAX 4.0 Ah Lithium Ion Battery with state of charge indicator,...
- 22" Laser cut, dual-action blades
- Hooked-tooth guard blade for branches up to 3/4" thick
A hooked-tooth blade helps cut thick branches, and 22-inch dual action blades give you professional results. DeWalt’s DCHT860M1 comes with a 40v, 4.0Ah lithium-ion battery and charger, and is a very lightweight product at 11.9 pounds. The unit also features a comfortable wrap-around handle that allows you to work from different angles easily. At 3,100 strokes per minute, you are guaranteed a precise cut every time. The gear case cover is removable, which makes blade exchange easier. The motor is designed to better protect the transmission, ensuring long-term performance. In addition, the tool is encased in a shock-resistant Xenoy resin, a heavy-duty plastic designed for longevity and protection.
- Extra sharp blades
- Xenoy resin encasement
- Relatively expensive
- Harder to cut through thicker (3/4” or more) shrubs
Black+Decker HT22 Hedge Trimmer
- 22-inch dual-action blades cut branches faster and easier with 40-percent less...
- For cuting branches up to 3/4 inch diameter, Power Source :Electric
- Pre-hardened, rust resistant steel blades stay sharp longer
Black+Decker is highly popular for providing high-quality tools at affordable prices, and this 22-inch hedge trimmer fits that description to a tee. The dual-action blades have 40 percent less vibration than other models, and the pre-hardened blades can easily cut branches up to 3/4inches in diameter. Durable rust-resistant blades are guaranteed to stay sharper longer, and a wrap-around handle allows for a flexible grip. One of the best features about this hedge trimmer is the weight; the trimmer weighs in at just under five pounds. Black+Decker came up with another winning item with the highly affordable HT22.
- Low cost
- Soft-cushioned wraparound grip
- Rust-resistant blades
- Trigger must be held down to operate
Teho Tools 4313 Cordless Trimmer/Shear
- GARDEN TRIMMING TOOL: The SereneLife Electric Garden Shears makes landscaping...
- HIGH POWERED CUTTING: The high powered cutting motor of the landscaping shears...
- CORDLESS DESIGN: Features a cordless design with 3.6V lithium ion 1300mAh...
This trimmer by Teho Tools is perfect for home use and small projects. There is a trigger release button that allows you to easily switch between the shear tool and the hedge trimmer blades. The shear tool has a 4-inch cutting capacity, and the hedge trimmer has a cutting length of 6-1/4 inches. The 4-volt lithium-ion battery provides 40 minutes of continuous runtime while taking only one hour to charge. This is an extremely lightweight and quiet piece of machinery weighing only 1.3 pounds. The lightweight, yet small, blades will provide added dexterity to your trim work, great for topiaries.
- Easy to change attachments
- One-hour battery charging time
- Short blade length
- Short operational time
VonHaus 20V Cordless Hedge Trimmer
The hedge trimmer by VonHaus is a heavy-duty piece of equipment, complete with a 20V lithium-ion battery that works well on tough jobs and is compatible with other products in the VonHaus 20V Max Garden Range line. The hedge trimmer has a 20-inch blade that includes safety features such as a brake, hand protector, and blade cover. The front handle wraps around fully and the grip is a comfortable soft rubber. The blades feature low vibration while oscillating at 1,400rpm. The anti-vibration system allows you to trim closer to your hedges and the blades can cut branches up to 0.59” in diameter. The battery takes one hour to charge and gives you 30 minutes of uninterrupted use.
- “Dead man’s” safety trigger
- Soft, rubber-grip handles
- Precision blades
- Only 30 minutes of continuous battery use
Black+Decker LHT2436 Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- Powerful 40 volt lithium ion rechargeable battery delivers the power with long...
- 24 inch dual action blade delivers less vibration than single action blades
- Shearing blade quickly cuts branches up to 3/4 inch thick. Uses ideal for...
The LHT2436 40V cordless hedge trimmer is a workhorse. The powerful battery has a long run time, capable of trimming up to 6,000 square feet of hedges on one battery charge. The 24-inch dual action blade has an anti-vibration system, giving you a more precise cut every time. The front handle fully wraps around for flexibility in handling. The unit weighs only 7 pounds, which is great for operating for longer periods. The heavy-duty blades can cut branches up to 3/4 inches thick while reducing user fatigue. The 40-volt battery system is compatible with other Black+Decker products and has double the lifespan of a nickel-cadmium battery. Another great feature of the hedge trimmer is the proprietary Power Drive transmission, limiting motor stalls.
- Long battery life
- Anti-vibration system
- No locking feature on the power button
What to Look For in a Cordless Hedge Trimmer
We’ve reviewed the best cordless hedge trimmers on the market. When looking to purchase a hedge trimmer, take the following factors into consideration.
- Weight –The lighter the weight of your hedge trimmer, the more likely it is that you can work more efficiently and for longer periods of time without fatigue. This is an especially important factor if you are a smaller person.
- Blade size – Blade size can vary considerably across brands and models. Typically, hedge trimmers range from 13 inches up to 40 inches, with professional trimmers being 18 inches or larger. Shorter blade size obviously gives you a shorter reach, but some models have pole attachments to extend your reach.
- Power – If you’re planning on working for long periods of time, or on larger hedges, you’re going to need a powerful engine to match.
- Battery life – For cordless hedge trimmers, battery life is a key factor. How long can you work without needing to charge the battery?
Cordless hedge trimmers are quieter than gas trimmers while still providing range of motion. Choosing the right hedge trimmer for your needs should be based on durable construction, battery life, weight, and blade size.